Bowdoin College – Hubbard Grand Stand
After damaged by electrical fire, Barba + Wheelock designed a sympathetic replacement press box to the historic Hubbard Grandstand.
The original grandstand was designed by Henry Vaughn in 1903 and at the time a campus publication stated the ‘grandstand will be the finest in the country until Harvard’s new stadium is built and even then it will be the finest in proportion to its size.’
The fire provided an opportunity to redesign and enlarge the press box addition to better maximize the sight and acoustic lines to the playing field, to upgrade electrical and technology, to separate the box into rooms for home, visitor and press, and to improve the overall appearance to be more compatible with this significant historic structure.
B+W has prepared measured drawings and a workplan for a Historic Structure Report.
Special Features : One of the finest remaining grandstands in the country. An early example of a reinforced concrete structure.