Barba + Wheelock Architects creates new buildings. Whether this is a new building on a new site or an addition to an existing building our projects all embody some form of contextual design. We are recognized for an ability to design projects that fit well with their surroundings. Our ability to work with clients and building committees to form workable, beautiful, environmentally sound and economical structures is evident in all projects. Barba + Wheelock is known for their innovative designs that are informed by tradition.
Our projects are embedded with the lens of best sustainable practices. Construction, by nature can be a destructive process. Design decisions at B+W are informed by a holistic approach to including renewable materials, renewable energy, locally based products and craftspeople, and finding the right approach to each project. All of our projects are built to budgets, and all require inherent value engineering to make capital and operational cost decisions that have lasting value to our clients. Making prudent choices that fit within an environmental ethos is a core value at Barba + Wheelock.
As a full service architectural firm, we can also lend our expertise to the design of additions to historic properties that complement and enhance the original structure yet have a character of their own.
We are architects that manage multi-disciplinary teams of engineers and consultants to design, document and administrate our clients’ projects through to occupancy.
We work with many clients to develop and implement accessibility plans for their properties. This often involves a balancing state statutes, federal laws, and building, energy efficiency, fire and life safety codes.
A core strength of the firm is its experience with and commitment to partnering with unique groups, communities, and individuals to design spaces that address specific needs and programs. Each of our projects demands and deserves a fresh approach, and we thrive on meeting this type of challenge.
Types of New Construction Projects
- New construction – infill in downtowns or on undeveloped sites
- Additions to existing buildings (all periods of construction)
- Additions to historic buildings
- Interior renovations and tenant fit-ups
The following are descriptions of some of the services that Barba + Wheelock Architecture offers.
- Construction Documents
- Bidding and Negotiating
- Construction Administration
Strategic and Pre-Project Planning
- Building Programming
- Site Selection
- Master Planning
Codes and Ordinances
- Accessibility and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Review
- Code and Life Safety Review of Local and State Ordinances
- Building and Life Safety Codes Review & Approvals
- Zoning, Planning Board, and Local and State Reviews & Approvals
- Estimates of Probable Costs
- Construction Phasing
Project Funding, Promotion and Public Relations
- Funding Identification and Grant Writing Assistance
- Models, Renderings and Graphics for Fundraising Assistance
- Preparing News Releases and Project Narratives