Barba + Wheelock has extensive experience in the investigation and rehabilitation of historic and existing buildings. We have a history of successful performance on institutional projects; and familiarity with coordinating projects with preservation review entities, including the Maine Historic Preservation Commission and National Park Service.
A core strength of the firm is its experience with and commitment to partnering with unique groups and communities to design spaces that address specific needs and programs. Each of our projects demands and deserves a fresh approach, and we thrive on meeting this type of challenge.
B+W’s projects have garnered many awards. In 2009, Maine Preservation made an Honor Award to the firm as the archtiect of the Hathaway Center in Waterville, a former mill building now completely rehabilitated for a variety of new uses.
Both principals of the firm have served terms as President of Maine Preservation, the state-wide, non-profit preservation advocate, and are now Advisory Trustees of the organization. In 2006, Nancy Barba was named as the organization’s Preservation Champion, an honor she shares with two U.S. Senators.
Nancy Barba is a member of Association for Preservation Technology International, and has served as a Board Member of the Northeast Chapter. She regularly attends the international meetings of the association and regional educational symposia on technical topics.
Barba + Wheelock is a certified Women-Owned Disadvantaged Business Enterprise in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
Types of Projects
- Rehabilitation (often incorrectly referred to as Renovation)
- Historic Tax Credit Projects (that encompass the types above)
- Additions to Historic Properties
Selected Professional Service for Historic Properties
- Historic Structure(s) Reports (HSR)
- Building Condition Assessments
- Existing Facilities Survey and Documentation
- Repair, Rehabilitation, and Cyclical Maintenance Priorities and Cost Analysis
- Section 106 Review
- Federal and State Historic Tax Credit Applications
- Sustainable Preservation Strategies
- Surveys of Historic Districts or Neighborhoods
- HABS / HAER Documentation
- Architectural Design and Construction Document Services
- Building Programming
- Master Planning
- Site Selection
- Accessibility/ADA Compliance Review
- Review of Local and State Ordinances
- Zoning, Planning Board, and Historic Commission Review & Approvals
- Building and Life Safety Codes Review & Approvals
- Estimates of Probable Costs
- Construction Phasing
- Construction Administration Services
- Funding Identification and Grant Writing Assistance
- Models, Renderings and Graphics for Fundraising Assistance
- Project Promotion and Public Relations